Searching for the perfect baby swing may seem overwhelming because there are some factors to consider before you can zero in on the perfect swing for your baby. There are baby swings that are specifically designed for a newborn, while others are designed to grow with baby. Some baby swings are designed to fit in small spaces, while others are designed to be easily transportable.
Safety first: baby swing safety tips
Most parents feel a baby swing is one of the best inventions—ever. It can calm a colicky newborn, or it can free a parent for a few minutes as they try to grab a bite to eat or tend to something nearby. As miraculous as this invention may seem, it can be a safety hazard when used incorrectly. Here are some safety tips to keep in mind, as published on Consumer Reports, when using a baby swing:
- Never leave your baby unattended in a swing. If you have to leave the room, take your baby with you.
- Always use the safety harness provided and ensure that the safety straps are properly adjusted.
- Never place a portable swing on an elevated, uneven, or inclined surface.
- Don’t let older children “push” your baby in the swing.
- Limit the amount of time your baby swings; no more than 30-minute intervals are recommended.
- With multi-speed swings, start with the lowest setting—high settings may be too rough for your baby.
- Always follow the manufacturer’s age and weight specifications and assembly directions exactly. Check that the swing is suitable for your baby.
- Make sure to position the swing away from hazards, such as doors, stairs, furniture, etc.
- To prevent falls, stop using a traditional swing when your child attempts to climb out.
- Don’t transport your baby in a swing, or use a portable swing as an infant carrier.
- Swings are not suitable for extended sleep. Transfer your baby to a crib or bassinet once he or she is asleep.*
Best baby swings:
- Fisher-Price 2-in-1 Deluxe Cradle ’N Swing
- 4moms mamaRoo4 Infant Seat
- Graco Simple Sway Swing, Stratus
- Graco Slim Spaces Compact Swing, ABC
- Ingenuity ConvertMe Swing-2-Seat Ridgedale Portable Swing
- Babymoov Swoon Motion Baby Swing
- Baby swing accessories
- Playgro Activity Friend Pooky Puppy
- Tiny Love Sunny Stroll Meadow Adjustable Stroller Arch
Best baby swings
This two-in-one baby swing by Fisher-Price features two swinging motions (head-to-toe or side-to-side), soothing music and two recline positions. The swing is designed with a detachable seat so it can turn into a baby rocker that is accompanied by calming vibrations when needed. The swing also includes overhead animal friend toys to help engage your baby’s visual senses to help encourage eye-tracking.
My twins loved this 4moms swing! I like to refer to it as the Suburban of infant swings. This space-age-looking ride offers a variety of motion settings. The swing features five swing speeds and is Bluetooth enabled so you can control motion and sound from your compatible smartphone or tablet.
This multi-direction baby swing by Graco allows baby to face right, front or left to offer your little one multiple viewpoints. It is engineered with six swing speeds and has the option to plug in or use batteries. The seat design allows you to change the motion from a side-to-side swing to a more traditional front-to-back swing.
You might also like: Car Seat Buying Guide: Four Types to Help Keep Your Child Safe
This swing reminds me of my firstborn’s swing. It helped save us on many a night (especially during the witching hour when nothing else seemed to soothe our baby girl!). This updated version features a variety of swing speeds. It also features a compact footprint and carry handle for easier portability. Adjustable legs can transition from compact to full size.
This Ingenuity baby swing converts to a seat that offers soothing vibrations. It features a pivoting toy bar that includes one plush toy and three loops for attaching more toys. The SlimFoldMC design allows the swing to fold for easier storage and portability. The swing timer has three settings.
This modern Babymoov baby swing features two rocking modes: sideways or forwards and backwards. It also features five swinging speeds. It is engineered with a motion detector, so the swinging movement is designed to start when baby starts to cry. The adaptable swing offers three reclining positions. Its backrest and seat feature multiple positions that can be adjusted separately. The toy bar is also adjustable in three positions.
Baby swing accessories
We had a moose infant toy that was very similar to this one. It stayed with us through four kids! Pooky Puppy by Playgro is designed with a range of colours, textures and sounds that may help with tactile development. The clip attachment makes it easy to hang from most baby swings or baby car seats.
This sweet adjustable activity arch by Tiny Love can help stimulate baby’s vision. The arch includes an easy-to-grasp teether. As baby grows, the arch’s learning toys can help with practising hand-eye coordination. The arch includes a universal attachment clip that fits a variety of baby swing and stroller styles.
A baby swing can often help soothe baby and bring you much-needed breaks. We hope Walmart’s best baby swings Buying Guide leaves you feeling less stressed—and more informed—as you get set for the swing shift.
Legal: This article is intended as general information. To be sure a product is right for you, always be sure to read and follow the label(s)/instruction(s) that accompany your product(s). Walmart will not be responsible for any injury or damage caused by this activity.