Choosing a crib mattress might not be as fun as selecting adorable nursery décor, but it’s one of the most important purchases you’ll make for your little one’s room. There are many options to consider before you buy—the type of the mattress, waterproof versus breathable, organic versus conventional—but as long as your purchase meets Health Canada’s guidelines for thickness and fit (more on that below), you really can’t make a bad call. So take a deep breath, parents-to-be—this decision is easier than you think, and we’re here to help.
What kind of crib mattress are you looking for?
Best Innerspring Crib Mattress
With 150 durable steel coils at its core, this lightweight mattress offers even firmness and support, and features two hypoallergenic layers for comfort. It’s also antibacterial, and the waterproof lock-stitched binding prevents mould, mildew and odours from setting up shop. This standard size baby mattress is Greenguard Gold certified for its low chemical emissions and made without flame retardants. Bonus: the reinforced outer wrap can be wiped clean with mild soap and warm water so accidents don’t require hours of cleanup and no one misses too many zzz’s.
- This mattress features airflow pockets and is breathable.
- The manufacturer recommends flipping and rotating the mattress every two to three months, but at just over 12 pounds, this isn’t too difficult. It also comes with a 10-year manufacturer warranty.
- This pick is certified by the Juvenile Products Manufacturing Association and meets or exceeds low emissions and non-toxicity standards for multiple organizations.
Love this mattress. High quality, great price. My grandbaby loves it too. Safe and comfy!
I think this is a good quality mattress. Firm but not to the point of being uncomfortable. It is a good bit thicker than other mattresses, and the sheets I had from my old mattress would not fit on this one…
Best Foam Crib Mattress
This durable mattress, made from high-quality, breathable foam and designed to fit standard cribs and toddler beds, has a firm mattress surface for safe sleep. It also features a water-resistant, removeable and washable cover, making it a snap to deal with diaper leaks, spit-up and more (you can wash it by hand or toss it into the washing machine!). This mattress comes compressed for easy-carrying convenience, but is ideally unrolled soon after purchasing and well before use.
- Greenguard Gold certified, this antimicrobial mattress is free of phthalates, lead and mercury, and meets or exceeds the requirements for a number of international safety certifications.
- The mattress’s water–resistant cover is included as a separate piece. Simply pull it on once the mattress is fully inflated.
- Some parents complain that the mattress retains a smell after unrolling and can take some time to air out.
I absolutely love this mattress. We had a vinyl mattress before and it was so noisy [that] the second we laid our daughter down, she would wake up. She loves this one and sleeps all night on it. It unrolled perfectly and I couldn’t be happier with the quality. It fits snugly in her toddler bed. It is firm but not overly so. Highly recommend.
This mattress did not expand to the width it was supposed to. The corners came out to 3.5 inches and the middle was 4.25 inches. It’s supposed to come out to 6 [inches] all around. Overall I’m disappointed with the outcome of expansion but the comfort is good.
Best Dual-Sided Crib Mattress
Dual, aka double-sided, mattresses save money in the long run. One side is extra firm for baby, while the other side is softer for toddler, so you can continue using it as your babe transitions from crib to bed. This lightweight, specialty foam pick is hypoallergenic and antibacterial, and features a waterproof cover that easily wipes clean with a little soap and water (a must-have with little ones!).
- This product is Greenguard Gold certified, meeting or exceeding the requirements for low emissions and non-toxicity.
- The waterproof binding is great for spills and messes but it also locks out dust mites and other potential skin irritants.
- Some parent reviewers are concerned the baby side is too firm, but Health Canada does recommend a firm mattress for babies under a year old.
We were wanting a memory foam mattress for our newborn. This was priced great! Great product for the money paid! Snug fit in the crib.
It is not as comfortable as I had hoped, but it works.
Best Mini Crib Mattress
For use with a portable or mini crib, this high-density foam mattress offers all of the benefits of standard size mattress in a smaller format. This option is dual-sided, with a breathable material on the baby side and a waterproof cover and lock-stitch seams—to keep leaky, messy situations away from the mattress’s core—for toddler. It’s also Greenguard Gold certified, so you know you’re investing in a healthy sleeping environment for your little one.
- This mattress has been laboratory tested for vapour and water permeability, so you can be sure the airflow claims deliver.
- When messes happen, all it takes is a little soap and water to deal with the situation and get your babe back to sleep.
- Portable or mini crib options are great for visiting grandparents, friends and family.
Great mini crib mattress for the price. Love that the infant side is breathable and the toddler side is waterproof.
Perfect for travel with a pack ‘n’ play. I wish it was a little bit thicker, but it works well.
Best Organic Crib Mattress
Made with organic cotton—grown without the use of chemicals or pesticides—and a thermo-bonded recycled polyester core, this mattress is awesomely double-sided. One side is extra-firm, for use with infants, while the flip side offers a slightly cushier sleep for toddlers older than a year. At just 12 pounds, it’s lightweight for easy sheet changes, and the certified organic cotton cover is water, stain and tear resistant.
- This mattress is free of phthalates and PVC (which is a chemical polymer often found in plastic) and does not off-gas.
- Because cotton is naturally breathable, this is mattress is a great all-weather choice—cool in the summer, cosy in the winter.
- Some parents have noticed that the mattress moulds to their baby’s form and causes an indent, which can become a safety issue, but the mattress comes with a lifetime warranty if you encounter issues.
This mattress has gone through three kids—the best investment ever!! I highly recommend this mattress to everyone.
My baby started using this crib mattress at three months old (she was sleeping in a bassinet in our room for her first few months). After one month of use, we started noticing she was sleeping in an indent. We tried moving her to different spots but she always wiggles to the hole.
Best Waterproof Crib Mattress
Anyone experienced with kids knows that waterproofing is essential for easy clean-up, but this mattress goes one better. With 204 durable steel coils at its core, this model features a reinforced cover made from hospital-grade antibacterial material to prevent germs from spreading, while lock-stitched waterproof binding protects the mattress from mould, mildew, odours and more.
- Combined with added safety measures, like an anti-sagging system to keep the middle of the mattress supported, you and your baby will both be comfortable with this choice.
- Just like an adult mattress, this one features upgraded steel sides to reduce sagging, as well as double layers of hypoallergenic cushioning.
- This standard size option is Greenguard Gold certified to ensure a healthy sleeping environment; it also meets or exceeds tests for flammability, lead, phthalate and other chemicals.
This is one of the best mattresses that I have ever purchased. Super firm, waterproof, fits the crib snuggly and handles all the jumping that my girls do several times a day in their cribs.
Unfortunately this mattress was not right for my baby. My baby was so hot and would wake up so sweaty.
Best Stain-Resistant Crib Mattress
A waterproof mattress can prevent stains from penetrating. This lightweight, antibacterial option delivers with lock-stitched binding and a surface that wipes clean with just mild soap and warm water. This option also offers even support and comfort with 132 coils at its core, a protective polyurethane wrap and a hypoallergenic insulating layer. Add Greenguard Gold certification for low emissions and non-toxicity and this mattress ticks so many boxes.
- At just over 12 pounds, this mattress is easy to lift and flip when changing crib sheets. It is also reported to fit snugly in a standard size crib.
- With a steel border around the mattress perimeter, there is optimal edge support to prevent the mattress from sagging.
- While this mattress does have a waterproof cover, some parents say it isn’t as loud as some of the other waterproofing options out there.
I am very pleased with how firm this mattress is, and that it has square corners and rigid edges so there are no gaps. It also has a wipeable surface but isn’t loud like the cheaper plastic ones are.
I bought this mattress thinking it was 27 [inches] wide but got it and realized it’s 28. The mattress is very firm for the price and good for newborns so I’m pretty bummed out about the size issue.
More Crib and Baby Mattress Products
Your Questions, Answered
What size crib mattress should I buy?
The best crib mattress for your family is the one that safely fits your baby’s crib or toddler’s bed frame. Crib and mini crib mattresses don’t always come in the standard size, so it’s important to measure your existing or intended crib so you can be sure the mattress will fit snugly.
Standard crib mattresses measure around 51 ⅝ to 53 inches long and 27 ¼ to 28 inches wide. Mini cribs are much smaller, usually coming in around 34 inches long and 24 inches wide. Just like cribs, some toddler beds come in standard crib sizes and some don’t, so once again, better crack out that measuring tape.
Although the length and width of baby mattresses can vary, thickness is regulated by Health Canada. Crib mattresses must be six inches thick or less, while cradle and bassinet mattresses can be up to one-and-a-half inches thick. Health Canada recommends you check that the mattress is firm and ensure it fits tightly into the crib, with no more than an inch and three sixteenths (or three centimetres) between the mattress edge and the inside crib frame.
What types of crib mattresses are available?
- Innerspring: Durable innerspring mattresses feature a core of thick metal coils surrounded by cushiony upholstery. Pricier and heavier than other options, they have the best edge support and are the least likely to sag at the sides.
- Foam: Polyurethane foam mattresses are lighter and less expensive than their counterparts. Look for the firmest model possible—ideally you want something that quickly regains its shape after being pressed down.
- Dual-sided mattresses: Firm on one side for baby, and slightly softer on the other side for toddler, dual or double-sided mattresses are meant to last through your little one’s early years.
What crib mattress features should I look for?
All mattresses need to follow Health Canada’s guidelines for fit and firmness. Beyond that, here are some other features you may wish to look for:
- Breathable: Some crib mattresses include airflow pockets that boost air circulation in and around the mattress. Because they prioritize air flow, they are also good for babies who sleep hot. Because they don’t have plastic covers, breathable mattresses are typically not waterproof, so you might want to skip airflow technology if you’re concerned about leaky diapers.
- Antibacterial, antimicrobial or hypoallergenic: Hypoallergenic mattresses are tightly woven from natural, breathable materials such as cotton, bamboo, silk or wool. They’re designed to resist dust mites and prevent mould and mildew by dispersing moisture. They may also be treated with an antimicrobial or antibacterial cover to prevent harmful germs from taking up residence.
- Waterproof: A protective waterproof layer makes easy for easy cleaning of late-night diaper leaks, plus the plastic barrier prevents water from seeping into the core of the mattress where mould and bacteria can grow. Waterproofing—whether it’s part of the mattress or courtesy of a removable pad—helps keep your mattress stain free. This is important if you’re passing the mattress down from one baby to the next, or if you’re buying a reversible mattress and plan to get several years use out of it.
- Greenguard certified: The Greenguard Environmental Institute is a reputable third-party group that rigorously tests products for harmful toxins. There are two certification levels: Greenguard, which ensures the product meets strict emissions limits, and the more stringent Greenguard Gold that also considers safety factors for sensitive individuals, including children.
- Organic: Organic mattresses are made with organic materials and without synthetic chemicals. If you’re in the market for an organic mattress, look for certification from a reputable agency such as the Global Organic Textile Standard.
- Health Canada. Cribs, cradles and bassinets.
- Government of Canada, Consumer Product Safety. Is Your Child Safe? Sleep Time.
- Sleep Foundation. Best Mattress for Allergies.
How we choose products: Simply put, we don’t recommend any products we wouldn’t buy ourselves. Our writers leverage a number of sources as a starting point, including reputable third-party reviews, Walmart.ca user reviews, and Walmart Canada’s category specialists. theHUB editorial staff has final say for all products included in this guide.
Any product claims noted are provided by the manufacturer, unless otherwise stated.
Prices shown are subject to change. Please check Walmart.ca for the latest pricing.
This article is intended as general information. To be sure a product is right for you, always be sure to read and follow the label(s)/instruction(s) that accompany your product(s). Walmart will not be responsible for any injury or damage caused by this activity.