If there’s one beauty product we could never give up, it’s dry shampoo. The hero-in-a-can transforms greasy hair by soaking up excess oil to refresh the scalp and strands—all with just a few quick spritzes.
But which formula will best breathe life back into your post-workout mane? Which one will protect dyed hair from fading? Which scent will revive your style when you’re rushing to get the kids ready for the day? We’ve rounded up the most trusted dry shampoos for every hair type, with top reviews for their volumizing potential, invisible finish and undeniable ability to cleanse your hair in a pinch.
What are you looking for?
Best Dry Shampoo Overall
There’s a reason Batiste has landed at the top of several readers’ choice awards lists, and why it’s our number-one pick overall: it does a lot without costing a lot—which matters if you’re a regular sprayer. It packs rice starch to sap up oil and add a touch of volume. Plus, unlike many other formulas on the market, it won’t leave your scalp feeling overly powdery or gunky.
- The all-purpose formula does double-duty, revitalizing limp strands while also adding body and root lift via rice starch.
- The powdery white hue is easily nixed by giving the can a good shake before use and massaging the product through hair, making it a great fit for all hair colours.
- With notes of coconut, jasmine and vanilla, the ultra-feminine and summery scent lingers all day, allowing you to skip perfume. The formula also comes in several other fragrances like Cherry and Wildflower.
Oily hair goodbye! I love this stuff for when I straighten my hair and want it to last longer than two days. I will buy this product again, since it is a time saver.
It has a very strong coconut smell which I love, but if you are sensitive to smells, this might not be the scent for you.
Best Dry Shampoo for Dark Hair
Finding the right dry shampoo for dark strands can seem like a difficult feat, with most formulas leaving a powdery veil behind. For ultra-dark manes, Marc Anthony’s Refreshing Coconut Clear Dry Shampoo is completely colourless straight out of the nozzle, so you don’t have to overwork your hair to get rid of the usual white cast. It’s no wonder this formula is among the top-rated on Walmart.ca despite its slightly higher price.
- Second-day hair gets refreshed and volumized with help from zeolite, a porous mineral that soaks up oil (and can be found in top-selling formulas that retail for five times the price).
- Its tropical coconut fragrance gives off that vacation-in-a-bottle feeling while covering up any unwanted odours.
- This completely clear spray blends seamlessly into brown, black and other deep hair colours.
It smells great and makes my hair feel refreshed. I have dark brown hair and I wasn’t left with white hair like I have from previous dry shampoos.
I have dark hair and this didn’t leave any film. I only wish you got more product for the price.
Best Dry Shampoo for After the Gym
After a mega-sweaty workout is when we need dry shampoo the most, but who wants to spray a powder on drenched roots (hello, gritty build-up)? That’s where dry shampoo foams come in. The mousse-like formula goes on wet, then dries quickly, eliminating excess oil as it goes. Batiste makes one of the few—and best—dry shampoo foams at the drugstore price point. We love the way it leaves hair feeling soft, bouncy and not the slightest bit sticky, with nourishing ingredients for an added mane boost at the same time.
- With a peach-sized dollop of the airy foam, you can refresh sweaty hair—sans white residue or powdery buildup—from root to tip.
- The lightweight, non-sticky foam dries completely in 60 seconds, so you can go from Pilates to a playdate in a flash.
- Infused with nourishing almond oil, the formula softens dry strands while also adding a subtle scent.
I am so loving this product. I typically use it after the gym and it leaves my hair looking and feeling refreshed. It also gives me hair more volume in the best way!
Because I have thick hair, I found I had to use quite a bit of the product to get that fresh clean feeling, so you might end up using more than you expect.
Best Dry Shampoo for Volume
Looking to give flat hair extra oomph with minimal effort? TRESemmé Volumizing Dry Shampoo lifts right from the root to give limp strands a boost—whether you use it on clean or dirty hair. Infused with mineral clay, it absorbs excess oil and adds texture in a few quick spritzes. Though it may not provide the heavy-duty clean feel that some dry-shampoo lovers rely on, this mist is a must-have if you’re looking for major body.
- This dry shampoo’s super lightweight formula won’t cause product build-up that weighs your hair down.
- Invigorating grapefruit and tangerine extracts nourish and add a clean scent.
- Its gentle, paraben-free formula makes it a great option for sensitive scalps.
Clean but adds volume! You need this, especially if you like to curl and wave your hair. It adds body, takes out the oil, and amazing texture for your waves.
I’m not sure if this would rescue really greasy hair, but it definitely will add a little volume and texture for day-two hair.
Best Dry Shampoo for Thin Hair
If you have fine, limp hair, chances are you already pledge allegiance to dry shampoo for its volume-building abilities. But your best boost will come from a souped-up formula like this one from OGX, which packs biotin and collagen to help fatten up strands over time. The best part? While a lot of root-lifting products can leave your mane feeling stiff, this spray leaves hair feeling touchable and with a healthy-looking shine.
- A nutrient-packed formula with biotin, collagen and hydrolyzed wheat protein help bolster strength for a fuller, healthier mane.
- For fine strands that get greasy quickly, aluminum starch soaks up oil so you can cut down on shower time.
- The flexible, non-drying finish means you can spritz this on every day—even on clean hair—to add volume without that unwanted stiffness.
Love this dry shampoo! I needed a dry shampoo that volumizes my otherwise flat, straight hair and it works wonders.
The only thing I didn’t like is that my hair did fall flat at the end of the day, but I’d still recommend this product if you’re on the go.
Best Dry Shampoo for Natural Hair
Natural texture tends to thrive best with less wrangling and touching, which can introduce frizz and interrupt curl patterns, so we love a dry shampoo that truly goes on clear. Pantene’s Never Tell option earns ample praise for its disappearing powers, and the vitamin-enriched formula isn’t overly drying (if you’re dealing with extra greasy roots, you might want something that’s a little more intense, but Never Tell is great for thick curly types that thrive with a bit of natural oil).
- Natural textured hair benefits from the pro-vitamin B5 complex—a helpful hydration boost to balance out the oil-absorbing action.
- An invisible formula means no extra fussing with your roots (forget it, frizz) to disguise the typical white residue.
- The petite can makes it easy to toss into an overnight bag for on-the-go styling.
I am pleasantly surprised to find that there wasn’t any noticeable white powdery residue, just as advertised. I have black thick long hair. I did not have to deal with any powdery mess.
True to its word, there was no white residue left on my hair, but I accidentally got some on my black top which showed.
More hair-styling essentials
How we choose products: Simply put, we don’t recommend any products we wouldn’t buy ourselves. Our writers leverage a number of sources as a starting point, including reputable third-party reviews, Walmart.ca user reviews, and Walmart Canada’s category specialists. theHUB editorial staff has final say for all products included in this guide.
Any product claims noted are provided by the manufacturer, unless otherwise stated.
Prices shown are subject to change. Please check Walmart.ca for the latest pricing.
This article is intended as general information. Always be sure to read and follow the label(s)/instruction(s) that accompany your product(s). Walmart will not be responsible for any injury or damage caused by this activity.