Whether you’re looking to do heart-pumping cardio or stretch your legs between Zoom calls, an exercise bike could be the perfect piece of equipment for you. No matter the speed you choose, cycling helps to build muscle strength, maintain heart health and improve joint mobility without the strain that can come with other workouts (like jogging, for example).
The good news? You don’t need to shell out for a Peloton to get in a good sweat. If you’re ready to make your home gym—or home office—feel like a private spin studio, but you don’t want to spend a ton of money, look to this list to find the best exercise bike to fit your budget, space and fitness goals.
What type of exercise bike are you looking for?
Best Exercise Bike Overall
This quality exercise bike might not have the flashy monitor of some of its competitors (ahem, Peloton), but it delivers on durability and a smooth, quiet ride. The Sunny Health & Fitness Evolution Pro boasts a sturdy steel frame, silent belt drive and 44-pound flywheel for maximum stability. Plus, it has a sturdy spot to rest a tablet so you can use your favourite app for guided workouts or take calls while you spin.
- Four-way adjustable handlebars mean you can create the most comfortable riding position for your body, though the seat may require some adjusting to get right.
- Customizable caged pedal straps keep feet securely in place while you ride, while floor stabilizers create balance—even on uneven surfaces.
- A maximum user weight of 330 pounds allows for riders of many sizes.
Love this bike! I’m a pretty big guy and this bike is perfect for me. Very sturdy and well built.
There are no remote holders and the seat is pretty finicky.
Best Indoor Spin Bike
This spin bike offers the peak indoor cycling experience. It’s top of the line and built with durable materials to promise a smooth, safe and quiet ride every time. Plus, it has 32 levels of silent magnetic resistance. When paired with the Echelon Fit App (90-day membership included), it allows you to train like you’ve got a spin instructor on call.
- The whole bike is ergonomically customizable, so you’ll be able to find your perfect fit, and it has adjustable toe cages on the pedals, a hand brake and slip-resistant handlebar to ensure a safe ride.
- There are over 1,600 on-demand and live classes in the app to suit every fitness level and musical taste. Plus, in between rides, you can try programs for yoga, Zumba, Pilates and more.
- The magnetic flywheel offers a wide range of levels of resistance. Some experienced riders might find it a little light.
It has all the features of the expensive bikes (except the monitor) and it was a fraction of the price. Assembly was easy. It is sturdy and well built.
You can’t simulate a standing climb in this bike as the max resistance is still light for me.
Best Exercise Bike on a Budget
This affordable GoZone stationary bike is pretty basic—but in the best way. It’s a no-frills option that’s perfect for an indoor cycling newbie or occasional rider. The solid X-frame design with transport wheels is easy to fold up and put away between workouts. The bike also comes with a simple LCD window display that gives just the essential ride stats, which are all that a beginner really needs.
- The large padded seat and bike height are fully adjustable for a comfy ride.
- It features non-slip foot pedals that are adjustable for comfort and safety.
- The tension doesn’t go very high, so if you’re looking for a strenuous workout, this probably isn’t the right bike for you.
Easy to move around and fold up. Easy to put together. Looks nice and takes up little space.
I find the tension knob does nothing.
Best Compact Exercise Bike
Whether you’re hoping to fit a bike into the corner of your condo or squeeze another piece of workout equipment into your basement gym, you’ll love this compact stationary bike. It boasts a small footprint, making it easy to fit into the tiniest of workout spaces. In addition, the pre-installed workouts and pulse-grip-equipped handlebars to track your heart rate mean you won’t compromise on performance.
- The plug-in console controls 16 levels of magnetic resistance, 24 workout programs and even a BMI calculator.
- A sturdy steel frame supports riders up to 240 pounds.
- The tablet holder and water bottle cage ensure you’ve got all of your essentials within arm’s reach while you ride.
The bike takes up very little floor space, which is a great plus. Sturdy, smooth and silent operation.
Just a warning: assembly is challenging!
Best Folding Exercise Bike
No room for a stationary bike? No problem. This portable piece of equipment folds to almost half its size, weighs less than 35 pounds and comes with transportation wheels so you can easily move it between rooms as required (or even stash it in a closet when not in use). The LCD screen logs your distance, time, speed, calories burned and more.
- Large pedals and magnetic tension create a smooth pedalling motion, while a balanced flywheel and V-belt drive mean you’ll have a quiet ride, even when pedalling all-out.
- Pulse sensors monitor your heart rate to help you gauge how hard you’re working.
- The bike is small, making it less ideal for tall people. It also might not work well if you like to stand and ride.
Very happy with this exercise bike. I use it while watching TV—it’s so quiet.
My only complaints are that it’s not a good option if you are tall—I’m 5’4” and have it on the highest level—and the pedal placement under the handlebars can make standing and riding a little less than ideal.
Best Recumbent Exercise Bike
If you’re a new rider (or maybe even new to cardio workouts in general), a recumbent bike is a great way to ease into indoor cycling. On this bike, you get full back support, the comfort of a cushier seat and can relax your upper body while you work your legs. Plus, the lower seat makes it easier to get on and off safely.
- Keep tabs on your time, distance, speed and RPMs with the large LCD monitor.
- The performance wheel provides a steady pedal stroke for a smooth riding experience.
- It fits in small spaces, but you may sacrifice a little bit of stability for the compact size.
The seat is so big and comfortable that you can watch TV while exercising and you don’t even notice that you are biking.
I thought it would be bigger, but it is so petite.
Home Fitness Essentials
- Harvard Medical School. The Top 5 Benefits of Cycling.
How we choose products: Simply put, we don’t recommend any products we wouldn’t buy ourselves. Our writers leverage a number of sources as a starting point, including reputable third-party reviews, Walmart.ca user reviews, and Walmart Canada’s category specialists. theHUB editorial staff has final say for all products included in this guide.
Any product claims noted are provided by the manufacturer, unless otherwise stated.
Prices shown are subject to change. Please check Walmart.ca for the latest pricing.
This article is intended as general information. To be sure a product is right for you, always be sure to read and follow the label(s)/instruction(s) that accompany your product(s). Walmart will not be responsible for any injury or damage caused by this activity.