With so many of us avoiding public spaces and working from the kitchen table, there’s never been a better time to make a home coffee-maker upgrade. After all, even when life feels sort of unstable, you should still be able to count on a good cup of joe.
For a reliable, well-made coffee or espresso machine that takes less than a minute to use, Nespresso could be the way to go. Not only is the brand recognized as a leader in quality coffee-capsule technology and compact design, but it’s also making major strides toward sustainability with ethical coffee sourcing and recyclable Nespresso capsules.
But before you make the big purchase, you’ll need to decide if you want an Original or Vertuo machine. While both styles of machine are quick and easy to use and have a similar range in price points, the Original collection features classic pressure-driven extraction, while Vertuo uses “Centrifusion” (i.e. spinning) to whip up crema (the foamy puff that’s supposed to be the sign of a well-made espresso).
An Original Nespresso machine is best if…
- You prefer espresso and milk-based espresso drinks
- You like your espresso piping hot
- You crave strong, bold flavour
- You want a built-in milk frother (which comes with some of the Original models)
A Nespresso Vertuo machine is best if…
- You like to rotate between coffee and espresso
- A thick, rich layer of crema on top of your espresso is your jam
- You’re OK with a milder taste
- You like a big cup of coffee that’s not filled with milk or extra water
Use this guide to find the best Nespresso machine in Canada to fit your lifestyle and budget.
What kind of Nespresso machine are you looking for?
Best Nespresso Machine Overall
The Nespresso Essenza Plus by Breville was voted the best coffee maker of 2020 in the Canadian Consumer Survey of Product Innovation, so it’s no surprise it tops our list. A member of the Original line of Nespresso machines, which are pump-based and driven by high pressure, it makes strong coffee with major flavour. This combo pack also comes with an Aeroccino milk frother add-on so you can turn your bold espresso into a cappuccino or latte.
- The Essenza Plus is one smart coffee maker! It will alert you when it needs maintenance and even has a capsule re-ordering system, so you won’t run out of your favourite flavours.
- With four programmable coffee selections (espresso (40 mL), lungo (110 mL), Americano (25 mL of coffee and 125 mL hot water) and Americano XL (40 mL coffee and 160 mL hot water)) and three water-hardness settings, you can tailor your coffee experience.
- The capsule container holds nine to 11 servings.
I am really enjoying my new Nespresso machine. I have used it to make regular cups of coffee and also to make lattes. Makes way better tasting coffee than my previous Keurig did.
I don’t think it gets hot enough in my personal opinion.
Best Nespresso Machine on a Budget
If a well-made cup of coffee is what you’re after and you don’t need anything too fancy to satiate your fix, then this Nespresso Vertuo Coffee and Espresso machine will do the trick with the perfect blend every time. And thanks to the Vertuo line’s Centrifusion technology (meaning it spins the capsule with water at 7,000 rotations per minute), you’ll have foamy espresso crema on top of each cup.
- This straightforward machine (think one-button prep!) makes coffee and espresso easily for five cup sizes (espresso (40 mL), double espresso (80 mL), gran lungo (150 mL) coffee (230 mL) and alto (414 mL)).
- It doesn’t have a milk frother, so it’s not the right choice if you’re looking to curb your craving for store-bought lattes. That said, you can always purchase an Aeroccino milk frother on the side.
- Though more affordable than most Nespresso coffee machines, the Vertuo is still an investment.
It has exceptional quality. The overall look is sleek and stylish. I like that the platform for my mug adjusts for the size glass I am using.
I really enjoy the machine, but I think that unfortunately it’s going to be more of a ‘special’ coffeemaker for me rather than a daily use one because of the cost of the coffee itself.
Best Nespresso Machine with Built-In Milk Frother
There are two types of coffee drinkers: people who are perfectly content with black coffee or a little cold milk added post-brew and others that simply have to have a luxe latte macchiato with hot, steamed milk (please and thank you)! If you fall in the second camp, the Nespresso CitiZ&Milk Espresso Machine (Original line) is your best bet. Pick your cup size and, with the touch of a button, add frothy finishing touches to your drink.
- The built-in milk frother can make hot or cold froth for a wide variety of beverages.
- Programmable buttons make espressos and lungos (which are slightly longer shots made with more water and a Nespresso lungo capsule) and a folding tray means you can slip in a taller coffee mug. It doesn’t feature an Americano pre-set, so if that’s your preferred drink you’ll have to choose a different model.
- You’ll want to display this machine on your countertop thanks to its compact design with retro flair.
The milk frother was an addition I had no idea I was missing in my life. It makes your coffee-espresso have a whole new exciting taste and texture.
The only drawback to the frother is that it is not dishwasher safe. Cleaning it is a bit cumbersome.
Best Luxury Nespresso Machine
The Nespresso Lattissima One by DeLonghi (Original line) sits at the pricier end of the Nespresso spectrum, but it also has a lot going for it—including a sleek design that will make any minimalist proud. It prepares drinks in under one minute, has an eco-mode for low energy consumption and features dishwasher-safe parts. Plus, it comes in black or white to easily blend into your kitchen décor.
- After three minutes, the Lattissima slips into low-energy mode. The machine will then turn off after nine minutes of inactivity, which makes this espresso machine a great option for eco-conscious coffee lovers.
- The high-pressure pump and quick-heat system give you perfectly heated espresso in 25 seconds flat. Making a milky beverage? It’s done in 40 seconds.
- The Lattissima is able to make a wide variety of espresso drinks (and both the coffee and frothed milk will feed directly into your cup), but it also can take a bit of time to learn to use.
It’s not only a beautiful-looking machine, but also will give you a moment of luxurious pampering. All you have to do is fill it to the line of your desired drink.
My boyfriend and I spent about 20 minutes trying to get this machine to make a cappuccino.
Best Nespresso Machine for Small Spaces
If counter space is at a premium, the streamlined Inissia by DeLonghi (Original line) is the best Nespresso machine for you. It’s lightweight (just seven pounds) and only nine inches tall (plus 4.7 inches wide and 12.6 inches deep, if you’re trying to carve out space!). Despite its compact design, it maintains the high performance you expect from the Nespresso brand.
- A tiny footprint makes the Inissia a breeze to store or leave on a counter no matter how much (or little) space you’re working with.
- A fast heat-up time of 25 seconds keeps things quick and easy.
- Just two programmable coffee settings (espresso and lungo) mean your choices are limited—which could be a good or bad thing, depending on your needs.
Love how compact this machine is. Hardly takes up any counter space. I would definitely recommend it for the space-saving aspect and for the quality of the coffee pods.
It was a little complicated to figure out.
Best Sustainable Nespresso Machine
While Nespresso as a brand has moved toward greater sustainability with its coffee-sourcing and pod-recycling program, you can take it a step further by choosing the most sustainable machine. Our pick? The Nespresso Vertuo Next Coffee and Espresso Machine, which is made from 54-per-cent recycled plastic.
- The machine reads the codes on each Nespresso capsule so that the blend suits the contents—and you won’t have to lift a finger! P.S. The pods for every machine are recyclable, but you’ll have to drop them off at Canada Post in a bag with pre-paid postage. (It will be included with your capsule purchase.)
- Like all machines from the Vertuo line, there are five different size options including espresso (40 mL), double espresso (80mL), gran lungo (150 mL), coffee (230 mL) and alto (414 mL).
- A separate Aeroccino milk frother is included, so you can turn your drinks into cappuccinos or lattes.
I can’t tell you how much our household loves this machine! It’s very slim, it heats fast and pours just as quick. You can also connect the machine to an app on your phone.
It’s not all that quiet. If I wake up early to make coffee, it’s quite obvious in a silent house.
More Espresso and Coffee Supplies
You might also like
How we choose products: Simply put, we don’t recommend any products we wouldn’t buy ourselves. Our writers leverage a number of sources as a starting point, including reputable third-party reviews, Walmart.ca user reviews, and Walmart Canada’s category specialists. theHUB editorial staff has final say for all products included in this guide.
Any product claims noted are provided by the manufacturer, unless otherwise stated.
Prices shown are subject to change. Please check Walmart.ca for the latest pricing.
This article is intended as general information. To be sure a product is right for you, always be sure to read and follow the label(s)/instruction(s) that accompany your product(s). Walmart will not be responsible for any injury or damage caused by this activity.