There are plenty of obstacles to full, fluttery lashes: tear-inducing wedding ceremonies, sweaty home workouts, seasonal allergies, back-to-back meetings, a good rom-com marathon, the list goes on. Thankfully, for those moments—and any other situation that might trigger a face full of streaming eye makeup—there’s waterproof mascara. Developed with more waxes and silicones than regular formulas, these moisture-resistant mascaras are a makeup-bag essential.
To help save you time and trouble, we share the very best waterproof mascaras for every need: formulas designed to boost short, sparse eyelashes and protect them from the elements for your healthiest, longest lashes ever.
What are you looking for?
Our Top Waterproof Mascara Pick
It’s no wonder L’Oréal Paris’s Bambi Eye scores such high ratings: it checks off all the boxes on our waterproof-mascara wish list. The brush is easy to manoeuvre and the formula delivers a fully defined and curled fringe. Most importantly, it’s one of the longest-lasting formulas we’ve ever tried (grab an oil-based cleanser to help break it down at the end of the day), and without a hint of that dry feeling that often goes hand in hand with smudge-proof options.
- This tube tops our list because it amps up lashes, fans them nicely and really stays put—an across-the-board win for $11.
- Forget spidery lashes: The velvety formula helps bolster volume without any telltale clumps.
- The flexible wand head includes a combo of short and long bristles, so every lash is separated with a single swipe.
This is just what I needed in a mascara. This product held up great during a two-hour workout and lasted all work day with no smudging. It made my natural lashes look amazing.
The only complaint I have is I wish it was easier to wash off.
The Best Budget Waterproof Mascara
To make every penny count, seek out an affordable mascara that offers range. We love Maybelline’s Great Lash because its formula is more liquid-y than other options on the market, which makes it easy to layer without looking chunky (the wiper inside the tube is also key for dispensing just the right amount). One coat will do the trick for casual daytime makeup, or you can get a glam night-out look from the same tube by building it up.
- This tried-and-true tube has been a fan favourite for 40 years—and it costs about as much as your morning latte.
- The clump-free formula lets you build up from a more natural look to a full-on, falsie-inspired set with ease.
- Rushing to get out the door? The big bristle brush makes it easier to pump up volume in fewer coats.
I recently bought a new mascara that was twice as much but I keep reaching past it for this great mascara. I have yet to find a budget mascara I like better.
Great formula—no smudges or clumping. Brush seems larger than traditional making it more difficult, at least for me, to apply to my bottom lashes.
The Best Waterproof Mascara for Swimming
For a laidback poolside day, we love mascaras that offer a natural look rather than red carpet–worthy volume. That’s why Covergirl’s Lashblast Full Lash Bloom is our go-to for vacations. Its lightweight mousse formula won’t make your lashes droop when they get wet the way heavier cream formulas do. Instead, lashes are soft to the touch (thanks, beeswax). This tube likely won’t be your best bet for a showstopper look (or if you have super short, sparse hairs), but it’s exactly the casual definition we’re after for an afternoon by the water.
- To balance out the drying effects of chlorine and saltwater, the airy, mousse formula contains beeswax that helps keep lashes looking and feeling soft.
- Its petal-shaped brush covers the whole lash from end to end for a pro-worthy application.
- The ball-tipped wand can be held vertically to tackle those hard-to-reach corners without a hitch.
I recently went swimming while wearing this product and my eyes were perfect—no raccoon eyes. In love with this product.
There was a little bit of flaking when I was layering on a second coat, however the flakes brushed away easily.
The Best Waterproof Mascara for Definition
If you find that heavy waterproof formulas leave you with gloopy eyelash “chunks” instead of a defined fringe, opt for Maybelline Lash Sensational Waterproof Mascara. Its fanned brush has 10 layers of bristles to help you create separation. Use the short-bristled side first to coat your roots and baby hairs, then switch to the longer side to comb the formula through for a fanned-out finish.
- The liquid ink formula coats each lash while staying lightweight.
- Wear contact lenses? This defining mascara has been ophthalmologist-tested.
- The curved wand is perfect for reaching your roots but may be tricky for first timers to get the hang of.
After wearing Maybelline Lash Sensational all day, during a steamy Facebook Live, walking to and from work in 35°C heat, running kids around town and watching baseball tryouts till 9pm, NO SMUDGING OR FLAKING.
The curved wand was different compared to my usual brand, so it was a challenge the first time I put it on.
The Best Thickening Waterproof Mascara
Yes, you can use mascara to fake your way to fuller lashes, but how about one that also revs up your natural lushness? That’s why we love this pick from Almay. Not only does it give you fatter lashes instantly via its thickening formula and dense bristles, but it also contains conditioning vitamins that help keep your lashes in tip-top shape (less breakage means more volume). Bonus: It’s one of the few hypoallergenic options out there, which means it’s especially gentle on the delicate eye area.
- Want to give thin lashes a little extra oomph? This volume-booster has been proven to double thickness in just two coats.
- Thanks to its tightly packed natural-bristle brush, you can count on a controlled, mess-free application.
- The aloe- and vitamin B5-infused formula, which is also hypoallergenic, conditions lashes for your healthiest, fluffiest set ever.
I have to say it really adds volume and curl to your lashes no matter how long or short they are. It stays on longer without seeping under my eyes.
This mascara goes on great and looks good, but it transferred below my lashes during the day.
The Best Fibre Waterproof Mascara
The promise of fibre mascaras is alluring: the fluid is spiked with little threads of nylon, silk or rayon that stick to lashes for added density. But too often, the fibres flake off or cause irritation. To dodge this issue, L’Oréal Paris’s Voluminous X has a black primer on one side (rejoice, not the usual white primer that inevitably shows through) to get lashes ready to grab the fibres from the other end’s loaded-up formula. And if you’re ever feeling lazy or simply more low-key, the primer on its own give a nice subtle look, too.
- To help mimic the look of extensions, this two-step system starts with a lash-darkening primer on one side, followed by a formula infused with tiny fibres that cling to lashes to add bulk.
- An hourglass-shaped brush helps plump up lashes during the primer stage, while the fibre end’s slightly curved tip lifts and coats every lash for even distribution.
- The fibres are a cinch to remove before bed by gently patting on an oil-based cleanser.
This is my new favourite drugstore mascara! I usually have trouble with fibre mascara, but surprisingly, these stick to my lashes and caused no irritation. The fibre formula adds a lot of length without clumping.
I like that the fibres didn’t fall off like others I’ve tried, but with my lashes, I found the fibres just weighed them down. I preferred to just use the mascara side and liked it much better.
The Best Lengthening Waterproof Mascara
To build long fluttery lashes, you need to start your mascara application right at the root of your lashes. It can be hard to find a brush head that’s thin enough to reach that area, but L’Oréal Paris’s Telescopic lets you do just that, and its comb-like bristles stretch and separate your hairs as you pull it through. The result: Noticeably lengthened lashes (add extra coats to help with volume, too). The only catch is that the nimble wand can take a bit of getting used to if you’re used to sturdier tools.
- The silky formula glides on evenly to deliver up to 50 per cent longer lashes.
- A dual-sided brush offers a flat side to coax major length and a comb side to then carefully separate lashes.
- Short bristles let you get right to the base of your lashes, so you can stretch them out from root to tip.
I love this product. I do notice my lashes appear longer after applying. The formula is waterproof and trust me, it definitely lives up to this!
The one downside is the applicator is more like a comb than a brush, which wasn’t as easy to apply to the curve of my eye.
More Makeup Essentials
How we choose products: Simply put, we don’t recommend any products we wouldn’t buy ourselves. Our writers leverage a number of sources as a starting point, including reputable third-party reviews, Walmart.ca user reviews, and Walmart Canada’s category specialists. theHUB editorial staff has final say for all products included in this guide.
Any product claims noted are provided by the manufacturer, unless otherwise stated.
Prices shown are subject to change. Please check Walmart.ca for the latest pricing.
This article is intended as general information. Always be sure to read and follow the label(s)/instruction(s) that accompany your product(s). Walmart will not be responsible for any injury or damage caused by this activity.